Sunday, November 16, 2008

Holiday Meal Planning and Shopping

One way to curb the extra stress and spending during the holidays is to plan and prepare ahead of time. Here's just a few easy tips:

  1. Take out your calendar and make a list of all the gatherings you will be going to or hosting.

  2. Write out your holiday menus and make a complete shopping list for each occasion. If I am going to multiple gatherings ask for contributions, I try to take the same thing to each-that way I can make large batches of the recipe all at once or buy the non-perishable items all at once.

  3. Don't forget to set a budget for your food shopping, too.

  4. If you are hosting, ask each guest to bring their favorite. You can keep track of who's bringing what, but tend not to do this. I'm happy with whatever arrives and very rarely do we get duplicates.

Clarky Davis, the Debt Diva has great planning pages on budgeting, holiday menus and grocery shopping, Black Friday shopping and gift tracking that you can download. Thanks to Arlice at a Woman'$ Worth who posted about this on her blog.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking about what we were going to have for Thanksgiving. :) I think I desperately need to sit down and plan my way through the holidays. And budget. I tend to go wayyy over in spending on food during this time of year.

Thank you for stopping by - it led me to your blog, which I can already see is going to be a huge help to me. :)

Thank you!

Heather (How to be a Woman..?) said...

Thanks for the tips! I went over to Debt Diva and am downloading the stuff like crazy. Can't wait to Tweet it.

Creative Junkie said...

I'm already making out my menu and shopping list for Christmas Eve, Christmas brunch and Christmas dinner ... it's the only way I can stay sane those two weeks beforehand.

Anonymous said...

I am starting the Christmas planning and need some organizing help!

Helene said...

Great tips! I tend to go overbudget on things because I don't plan properly! I'll have to check out the Debt Diva!

Anonymous said...

(Smile) I love the idea of preparing the same dish for each gathering. And picking up all the essentials one time sounds great to me!

Anonymous said...

I was just telling my husband this it takes planning in advance for a special dinner and what does he do?! Invite people for a Thanksgiving dinner the day after! WHAT?! I haven't bought a thing and I'm learning about it the moment he invites. Maybe I should make HIM do the shopping and cooking to teach HIM a lesson...lol

Post a Comment