Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Organizing Recipes: The Challenge

Recipes come in all shapes and sizes. There are the:
  • recipe cookbooks

  • recipe clippings from magazines and newspapers

  • recipe cards gathered from friends and families

  • recipes scribbled down on scratch paper

  • recipes found and printed from the Internet

I have all of these in my recipe/cookbook cupboard. I have to be honest with you, I probably don't use more than a third of what I have in that cupboard.

So, I am going to do something about that. Will you join me in this challenge?

  1. Pick a date to get started.
  2. Take all your recipes, cookbooks, etc. and gather them in one spot.

  3. Go through all your recipes and pullout or mark your favorites.
  4. Keep only the recipes you like and use. Make copies from the cookbooks that just have a few recipes your like and donate the cookbook. If you have cookbooks that are keepsakes, yes, keep those. I'm not that mean.

  5. Organize your keepers. A simple 3-ring binder with clear page protectors is a great way to store your favorite recipes. Add tabbed dividers to break the recipes down into categories. If you prefer to use index cards, keep them organized in a small inexpensive plastic photo album.

  6. Enjoy your organized recipe and cookbook space. Notice how easy it is to find what you need when you want it!

  7. Send me your before and after pictures!

In my next post I will share my before and after photos!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I might actually try and do this. I have 4 cookbooks that I use very often, but I also have a recipe file FILLED with recipes that I have not looked at in years.
I will definitely take pictures if I get to it, and let you know! :-)

Anonymous said...

Paula, I absolutely LOVED your newsletter this month. I love all of them but this one hit home. I am taking your advice starting today and will send you my before and after photos

Paula @ Organizing Tips For Moms said...

Jen-
Good for you! I'm glad you "found" your motivation. Can't wait to hear about it!

Post a Comment