Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Organizing Is An On-Going Process

When ever I speak on organizing, I stress that getting organized is not just a one-time event. After you organize a space or your home, you have to maintain it. The more you use a space, the more maintenance it will need. You might have to make adjustments as you go to make sure the systems work for you and your family.

There are also major life events that happen throughout our lives. Some examples are:
  • job loss
  • job promotion
  • new job
  • moving (downsizing or up sizing)
  • kids going to school
  • having a baby
  • marriage
  • death of a loved one
  • change in children's activities
  • change in your activities
  • adjustment with your personal goals
  • health issues

So major life events can be viewed as negative or positive. It's important to recognize that these events will play a role in organization and your ability to adjust. A common statement that I hear from some of my private clients is, "I used to be organized until........."

If you find that you are stuck and feel over whelmed, visit The National Association of Professional Organizers at http://www.napo.net/ to locate a professional organizer near you. You can search for an expert based on your needs.

1 comment:

Creative Junkie said...

It's the maintenance part of the whole deal that does me in. Whether it's organizing or losing weight or staying on budget ... I can do it initially but maintaining what I've done is just ... UGH.

Post a Comment