Thursday, September 18, 2008

4 Quick Steps to Menu Planning

Menu planning isn't that difficult. The benefits are
  • less stress for me and my family
  • healthier meals
  • more time
  • save money



Why, then, do I fall out of this routine so easily? Here are some of my excuses....






  • I just forget or don't make time for it
  • I can get by this week without a menu
  • I'm a mom, there's so much other stuff I need to do

The truth is, I can get by, but I function better with a menu. And yes, being a Mom can be a challenge. Some days I just don't feel like making dinner after a long day. But, I know from experience, that taking the time to plan out a menu for the week is not difficult and is so worth the time. In fact, it doesn't take that long. I broke the process down into 4 quick steps.

  1. Pick a day of the week that make sense for you and your family to plan out the menus for the week. Do this the same day each week. Sunday works best for me because I usually have time to go shopping the next day.
  2. Check everyones' schedules and activities for the coming week. Are there days that dinner needs to be quick, early, or late? Don't plan to make a roast when you have crazy and jam-packed day.

  3. Write down the weekly menu so you can refer to it. I created a simple form and would like to share it with you. You can put it on the refrigerator or inside a cupboard door. Paula's Easy Menu Planning Form
  4. Add needed items to the shopping list. I also have a standard shopping list I created on my computer. I have it separated by categories with our standard items. I also have it laid out so it follows the layout of my grocery store.

What's Next?: Grocery Shopping

No comments:

Post a Comment